Saturday, January 11, 2014

Divergent


When I heard the movie was being released this year, I knew I wanted to read it.  Then, after all my students started reading it for a class assignment a few weeks ago, I knew it was time to dig into this book!




Right away I was reminded of another dystopian novel, Matched.  So I wasn't super pumped about reading the rest of this book...but then it really captured my attention.  In contrast with Matched, the leading lady in Divergent takes a much more edgy route to rebellion leading to a lot more action in this novel.  

There is a little of everything in Roth's series starter: futuristic setting, action packed scenes, danger, betrayal and even romance.  I can see why this novel is such a hit with my 8th grade students!  As an adult, though, I did finding myself doubting some of the characters choices.  Based on the characterization that Roth gives  in the first half of the book, I found myself thinking, "...but would she really do that?" or, "I doubt he would say that!".  

Despite these surprise reactions, I found the plot engaging and I'm excited to see what happens to these characters in the second book of the series (and how they turn out in the movie!!)

Rating:  7/10


No comments:

Post a Comment